Find news about the Council's services, achievements and events. For news from past months, see the news archive.
- Direct debit makes annual subscription easier for garden waste subscribers
Our Garden Waste Collection Service is used by thousands of residents across West Lancashire and this spring we have made the subscription process much easier, with the introduction of direct debit
- Let's continue to have a safe welcome back for our West Lancashire businesses
Let's all continue to stay safe when using our local businesses and indoor leisure facilities
- Make sure you are registered to vote to have your voice heard
Time is running out if you want to make sure you are registered to vote in the important local elections taking place on 6 May 2021
- STATEMENT BY WEST LANCASHIRE BOROUGH COUNCIL ON THE DEATH OF HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE PHILIP, THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH
- ‘Green Homes Grant’ could pick up the bill for energy-saving improvements
If you're a resident in West Lancashire, you may be eligible to claim up to £10,000 per property to help keep you warm in winter
- Tawd Valley Developments forges ahead with housing projects
Tawd Valley Developments (TVD) is continuing to successfully progress the ambitious plans of West Lancashire Borough Council to deliver quality homes for the people of the Borough
- Regeneration Plan on track for Skelmersdale Town Centre
One of our key priorities is for the towns within our Borough to be the vibrant and prosperous hearts of our communities. To this end, we are leading on the regeneration of Skelmersdale, including delivering a new town centre, and working on plans for the Ormskirk Eastern Gateway.
- Is your business COVID-secure?
We are working with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to contact businesses in West Lancashire to check they have COVID-secure measures in place and to help tackle coronavirus (COVID-19) in the local area
- Stop smoking and get Winter Ready
Start your journey to quit smoking today and you can improve your body's defences against Covid-19 as well as having healthier skin, more energy, and an improved sense of smell
- Council acts to protect Veterans' rights to remain in UK
West Lancashire Borough Council is taking steps to ensure all Commonwealth Service personnel have equal citizenship rights following the news that eight Commonwealth Soldiers have been denied their leave to remain in the United Kingdom and facing application fees of over two thousand pounds
- Ormskirk Eastern Gateway project consultation - We are listening
Ensuring our town centres are thriving hubs for our communities is one of our top priorities. Major developments like the Skelmersdale Town Centre Project, which is now underway, are key to helping us achieve that
- Successful health shop signs long term lease for Ormskirk premises
The coronavirus pandemic would be an extremely difficult time for any business to set up new premises.
- Would you like to be a Councillor?
- Applications now open for West Lancashire Taxi Drivers COVID Support Scheme
- West Lancashire Borough Council successfully agrees budget to maintain services
Following a meeting of the full Council, West Lancashire Borough Council has agreed its budget for 2021/22, which will enable it to maintain its services in the coming year
- We welcome industry experts to our Tawd Valley Developments company
We are delighted to announce the appointment of Mark Kitts as Managing Director of Tawd Valley Developments.
- Apply now for a postal vote, and have your voice heard
A number of important local elections are taking place on 6 May 2021 and registering for a postal vote is quick and easy if you prefer not to attend a polling station
- Residents urged to 'get tested' after COVID mutation identified in West Lancashire
We are aware that the E484K mutation first identified in Liverpool has been detected in West Lancashire. We are working closely with our partners in Public Health England and Lancashire County Council to monitor the situation and we will update information as necessary.
- Review started of the 'Action on Climate Emergency'
West Lancashire Borough Councillors are looking into reviewing 'Action on Climate Emergency' which will also encompass 'Exploring how we use our green spaces to support sustainable wildlife habitats'
- New Council homes to be built in Skelmersdale after successful funding bid
West Lancashire Borough Council has been successful in its bid for just over £1 million in funding to support the development of affordable housing in the Borough
- Have your say on our exciting plans for Ormskirk town centre
Ormskirk's town centre is a bustling and historic part of the Borough, with many interesting shops and cafes to explore. We want to make this area even better for the people who live, visit, shop and work there
- Help shape the future of your local health services
Health leaders in West Lancashire, Southport and Formby are inviting people to share their views and experiences of local healthcare by getting involved with Shaping Care Together, a programme of work designed to improve hospital services
- National Lockdown
Following the government announcement of further lockdown measures yesterday we would like to reassure our local communities and businesses of the ongoing work with partner organisations to prevent the virus spreading and support the needs of everyone in West Lancashire.
- Work begins again on Skelmersdale town centre
Work on the eagerly awaited town centre is about to get underway again following completion of all legal processes
- Refuse and recycling over the Christmas break
In the run up to Christmas, there are lots of things to plan and get excited for; and as our services change for the Christmas period, we want to give you a helping hand in remembering your revised waste and recycling collection days
- It's important to protect our homes this winter
With the challenges that coronavirus brings, it's easy forget about other things that may also cause problems in our communities
- Let's make sure we are prepared for life outside the European Union
We have all had a tough year and while we are still working together to beat coronavirus we also have to be ready for life outside the European Union
- Our support for local businesses takes vacancy rates down to record low
We are continuing to support the local economy and help protect local jobs throughout the pandemic and a key part of our support to businesses has been the assistance given to our commercial tenants
- New testing site at Sandy Lane in Skelmersdale
An extra coronavirus testing site is being set up close to Sandy Lane Health Centre in Skelmersdale
- We continue to support the needs of West Lancashire during the pandemic
Following the government announcement of further measures to be introduced this week, we would like to reassure our local communities and businesses of the ongoing work with our partners to stop the virus spreading and support the needs of West Lancashire
- Message from NHS West Lancashire: Skelmersdale Walk-in Centre closed from midday today (30 October)
Skelmersdale Walk-in Centre was closed from midday today (30 October)
- Enjoy Hallowe'en safely
People in Lancashire are being asked to celebrate Hallowe'en differently this year.
- Businesses can find out more about West Lancs Kickstart Scheme
We are inviting businesses in the borough to register their interest in joining the West Lancs Kickstart scheme
- Coronation Park and Beacon Country Park awarded the Green Flag by Keep Britain Tidy
We are delighted that both Coronation Park and Beacon Country Park have been awarded the Green Flag.
- People struggling financially due to Coronavirus can get support to avoid the loan shark trap
We would like to remind everyone about the dangers of loan sharks and there is help and support for anyone struggling financially due to the impact of Coronavirus
- Community leaders named in Queen's Birthday Honours List
We are delighted to hear that our nominations to the Queen's Birthday Honours were a success and two local community leaders have been named in the Honours List
- West Lancs Together - Still Here to Help
- How do you think we should spend Community Infrastructure Levy monies?
We would like your views on what to spend the money raised from the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) on
- We would welcome your views on what we should prioritise to benefit our communities
You are invited to submit suggestions for the Council's Corporate & Environmental Overview and Scrutiny Committee Work Programme for 2021/22
- West Lancashire Borough Council tenants struggling to pay their rent can contact us for help
We are urging our tenants who are having money problems to contact us for help and make arrangements to avoid getting behind or further behind with their rent
- Work begins on exciting housing project by Tawd Valley Developments
West Lancashire families can look forward to moving into high quality new homes which will be the first new homes built by Tawd Valley Developments.
- Lockdown plea to government
As West Lancashire could see further local measures to protect residents against covid-19, Borough Council Leader Councillor Ian Moran has written to the Prime Minister to request more support for local businesses
- Public Health bosses urge communities to work together to avoid further local lockdown
Lancashire could be just weeks away from a full county-wide lockdown if people don’t take notice now
- Please join us as we remember those who have lost their lives to coronavirus
We hope you will join us in remembering all those we have lost to coronavirus.
- Significant progress made on Skelmersdale town centre
We have made significant progress on the Skelmersdale town centre regeneration scheme and work will begin on site again soon
- £755,000 funding success for West Lancashire
We are pleased to announce that £755,000 match funding has been secured from Historic England to deliver the High Street Heritage Action Zone programme in Ormskirk
- Coronavirus guidance part of plans for students' return
West Lancashire Community Safety Partnership is working to welcome Edge Hill University students back to West Lancashire safely
- Council Leader welcomes report celebrating District Councils
As the government considers the future of local government the Leader of West Lancashire Borough Council has welcomed a report which highlights the valuable work District Councils do
- Exciting plans for Edge Hill Cycle Link
We are working with Lancashire County Council on exciting plans which will make it easier to walk or cycle between Ormskirk town centre and the Edge Hill University side of town
- Ormskirk Market wins Travellers Choice Award
Ormskirk Market has won a Tripadvisor Travellers Choice Award after receiving a high number of positive reviews from visitors
- Important information for people living in shared homes
- Lancashire County Council news: Schools are getting ready to reopen to all pupils in September
Lancashire County Council is getting ready to welcome children and young people back into schools and early years settings for the new academic year in September
- Still time to apply for Small Business or Retail, Leisure & Hospitality grant funds
The clock is ticking but there is still time to apply for the Small Business or Retail, Leisure & Hospitality grant funds, (subject to your business being assessed as eligible)
- Public order on dogs updated
We are pleased to update the Council's Public Space Protection Order following the resident consultation we ran last year asking whether dogs should be kept on a lead or excluded from certain areas including sports grounds and children's play areas
- Continuing to keep you safe when accessing our Services
Your self-service account is a great way to access our services online at home at a time most convenient to you
- West Lancs Residents Urged to be More Vigilant
Residents in West Lancashire are being urged to be more vigilant and follow government advice as the number of Covid cases rise to a level that may mean more lockdown and intervention measures in the borough.
- Temporary Pavement Café Licences for Hospitality Owners
Hospitality owners in West Lancashire can now apply for a Temporary Pavement Café Licence to offer their customers outdoor seating areas in the pavement areas in front of their businesses.
- Ormskirk Ambassadors Meet West Lancs Mayor
The Mayor of West Lancashire, Councillor Terence Aldridge, has met with the Ormskirk Ambassadors to thank them for their hard work and services to Ormskirk Town centre. The community group have been volunteering their time to ensure residents and visitors feel safe and informed when returning to Ormskirk Market. They're also acting as a point of contact for anyone who has questions about staying safe when out and about.
- MotorFest Cancelled
- Take Care from the Mayor
The Mayor of West Lancashire, Councillor Terence Aldridge, is urging everyone in West Lancashire to stay safe and follow the national guidance about Coronavirus as areas across the north west are needing to impose local lockdown measures.
- Local Projects to support Lancashire's Economic Recovery
- Indoor Leisure Centres and swimming pools set to reopen
- Register to Vote
- Planning Committee technical Issues
- Tell us what you think of our draft Council Plan
We are setting out our Council Plan to make West Lancashire an even better place to live and work and we hope you will take a few minutes to tell us what you think of our ideas
- Improved layout at Ormskirk Market
Ormskirk Market may look a little different when you come to visit next as we are trialling a new layout of the stalls to help give extra space to support the many pavement cafes which are now opening
- 51 new affordable homes available to rent in Ormskirk this autumn
We are delighted to be working with the Jigsaw Homes Group to provide 51 new properties available for affordable rent at the former Atkinson Kirby site in Ormskirk
- A safe welcome at the Customer Service Point in Skelmersdale
- New Mayor of West Lancashire
We would like to warmly welcome Councillor Terence Aldridge as the new Mayor of West Lancashire
- Armed Forces Day - 27 June 2020
We hope you will all join us in a safe celebration of Armed Forces Day on Saturday 27 June
- Small Business Grant Fund Scheme Phase Two
Eligible small businesses can now apply under phase 2 of the Council's Business Grant Fund Scheme
- Ormskirk Market Reopens 18 June
Ormskirk Market will return 18 June with the traders planned to be selling groceries, fast food, clothing, accessories, bedding and towels, sportswear and children's clothing.
- Queen's Award for Voluntary Service
It has been wonderful to hear that three local volunteer groups in West Lancashire have received the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service
- Small Business Grant Fund Scheme
We are still welcoming applications from eligible small businesses under Phase 1 of the Council's Business Grant Fund Scheme which closes at midnight on Monday 15 June
- A safe welcome for West Lancashire shoppers
We want to support local retail businesses and shoppers as much as possible and to ensure everyone is safe when the shops can once again reopen
- #NationalVolunteersWeek - Bernard's Story
- Great work at volunteer food hubs
As part of the celebrations for Volunteers Week, West Lancashire Borough Council is highlighting the great work that volunteer food hubs have played in the response to Coronavirus.
- National Volunteers Week
Join us as we pay tribute to the volunteers and voluntary organisations who work tirelessly for the people of West Lancashire by celebrating National Volunteers Week (1-7 June 2020).
- Statement on travellers on Churchfields in Ormskirk
Statement on travellers on Churchfields
- Small Business Grant Support Scheme Launched
We are working hard to help the local economy and welcome news that Government has allocated £1.075m to help us set up a new grant scheme for small businesses
- Discretionary Small Business Grant Scheme
We are working hard to help the local economy and welcome news that the Government has published guidance to local authorities on how they can set up a new discretionary grant fund scheme for small businesses that have not been eligible under existing grant schemes. This means businesses that have not received any financial assistance so far.
- We win Gold Award for excellence
At a time when accurate information on streets and properties has never been more important, we have been given a Gold Award by industry experts for the way we manage such information
- Garden Waste Subscriptions are available online from 11 May
The Garden Waste Collection Service is really popular across West Lancashire and, although not an essential service for residents during a pandemic, the Council is offering a continued service through online subscriptions for 2020/21
- Council meetings to be held on Skype
To help and support everyone to stay at home the Council will introduce Skype Council meetings so you can keep in touch with the important decision making in your local area
- Making payments
If you usually pay your Council Tax or rent when you are out at the Post Office or at a local shop by using your payment card, there are other easy and secure ways to pay whilst you stay at home
- Changes to grounds maintenance programme
The Council is sorry that it won't be able to carry out its annual grounds maintenance programme in full as staff are re-deployed to maintain essential and statutory services in these difficult times
- Support for the local economy
As local businesses are facing more pressures, West Lancashire Borough Council is pulling out all the stops to help the local economy
- We are sorry that events can't take place
Sadly the Council has had to cancel spring and early summer parks and countryside events to comply with government social distancing advice
- Please don't burn waste, compost instead
With many of us currently spending more time at home we may have more food waste and garden waste to deal with, particularly those keen gardeners amongst us
- Extra support for your financial worries
15 staff from across the Council have joined the Financial Inclusion Team to provide up-to-date advice to residents suffering financially due to the Coronavirus pandemic
- We are still here to help
Residents can continue to keep in touch and access many services online whilst our Customer Service Points are closed for the time being
- Delays to garden waste collections - 31 March 2020
There have been delays to garden waste collections due to take place in the Burscough area today (31 March)
- We want to help our suppliers
To help our suppliers process invoices quickly and efficiently, service managers from across the Council are proactively contacting their suppliers to explore better ways of receiving their invoices at this time
- Advice for commercial tenants about rental payments
If you are a West Lancashire Borough Council commercial tenant struggling to pay your rent because of the Coronavirus Pandemic we are keen to help
- Appeal for bikes for NHS workers
Residents are being asked to help NHS workers by donating any adult-sized bikes they don't use anymore
- Refuse and recycling collections update: 27 March
Refuse, recycling and garden waste collections due to take place in some areas today (27 March) were delayed.
- Please help us keep refuse and recycling collections running smoothly
Residents can help us to keep refuse and recycling collections running smoothly during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Delivering Small Business Grants Support to Local Businesses
We are here to support local businesses in receiving support during the COVID-19 pandemic and will be contacting all eligible businesses before the end of next week with information on grant funding.
- Advice for tenants over rent
If you are a West Lancashire Borough Council tenant struggling to pay your rent because of the Coronavirus Pandemic please contact our Financial Inclusion Team who are here to support you.
- HomeCare Link service supports 8,500 vulnerable citizens
West Lancashire Borough Council's HomeCare Link service supports 8,500 vulnerable citizens to live independently across the North West and is working round the clock to support them during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Support for residents with Council Tax
People will understandably be concerned about paying their bills during the current Coronavirus pandemic. We know that loss of income may leave many residents struggling to pay key bills such as Council Tax, or cause worries about making rent payments.
- Ormskirk Market cancelled
Ormskirk Market has been cancelled by West Lancashire Borough Council until further notice to prevent social gathering during the coronavirus pandemic
- Leisure centres have been closed
All West Lancashire Community Leisure Trust-run leisure centres have been closed following government instructions regarding Coronavirus
- Ensuring safe giving to charities in response to the Coronavirus pandemic
The Charity Commission and Fundraising Regulator have urged people to ensure they are giving safely as people continue to respond with generosity in the current COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advice on Business Rates
We are committed to supporting businesses in dealing with the disruption caused by the Coronavirus.
- Coronavirus - Council Tax Payments
The Council recognises that during the current Corona virus pandemic residents may struggle on occasion to pay Council Tax bills
- Advice on rent for Council tenants
The Council welcomes the latest government guidance with regards to those struggling to pay rent as their ability to earn has been impacted by Coronavirus
- Coronavirus latest: Customer Service Point at the Concourse Shopping Centre has closed
To support and maintain our critical services during this time, we have closed the Customer Services Point at the Concourse, Skelmersdale
- Message from Councillor Ian Moran, the Leader of West Lancashire Borough Council
We know that you, our residents and business owners, are concerned about the impact of Coronavirus and what it could mean over the coming weeks
- Skelmersdale Foodbank
We have been asked to pass on the following information from Skelmersdale Foodbank.
- Retailers to benefit from business rates discount
We are backing a new initiative to cut bills for local retailers
- Council gives assurances over Coronavirus
West Lancashire Borough Council would like to give assurances to people living and working in West Lancashire that we have flu policies and business continuity plans in place to deal with the pressures presented by pandemics such as Coronavirus
- Council sets out new initiatives while continuing good financial work
West Lancashire Borough Council is working hard to meet financial challenges and provide the services local people need
- Statement of Community Involvement: How should the Council consult on planning matters?
If you have a view on how and when West Lancashire Borough Council should consult residents on planning matters, the Council would like to hear from you
- New trees to be planted in Skelmersdale town centre scheme
The new Skelmersdale town centre development will be respectful of the environment
- Give your views on Council's Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy
Homeless people are among the most vulnerable in our society and West Lancashire Borough Council wants to know what you think of the plan it uses to help them
- Tributes paid to West Lancashire Council's first Chief Executive
The Council would like to pay tribute to its first Chief Executive, John Cowdall, who sadly has passed away
- Do you own or know of any land that might be suitable for development in the future?
West Lancashire Borough Council is undertaking a ‘Call for Sites’ exercise as it starts work on its new Local Plan for 2023 to 2038
- Make your application to have a VE Day street party by 8 March 2020
With celebrations of the 75th anniversary of VE Day fast approaching West Lancashire Borough Council is asking for anyone wanting to host a street party to complete their online application by 8 March 2020.
- Enjoy great events at the Chapel Gallery in Ormskirk
The Chapel Gallery in Ormskirk is the place to go for great design and music in the coming months
- Businesses can book places at Skelmersdale Ambassadors Business Breakfast Event on 26 February
Are you a business who wants to connect with fellow business leaders, reap the benefits of helping to promote the area and connect with those organisations who are here to support business development and growth?
- New fitness class for over-60s starting in February
A FABS new fitness class designed specifically for the over-60s is being launched in West Lancashire as part of a national campaign to help people stay active and independent as they get older
- Working to make sure Ormskirk Market has a bright future
Ormskirk Market is one of the best street markets in the North West and West Lancashire Borough Council is working with traders to make sure it has a bright future
- Refuse and recycling update - Thursday 23 January
Update on delays to refuse and recycling collections in Newburgh and Burscough due to take place today
- Building work starts on new Skelmersdale town centre development
The start of 2020 marks a new dawn for Skelmersdale with building work beginning on the long-awaited town centre redevelopment
- Work to begin on path between Ormskirk bus and rail stations
West Lancashire Borough Council is pleased to announce that work will begin on Monday 20 January to upgrade the existing footpath between Ormskirk bus and rail stations to create a new shared use footpath and cycleway
- Recycling collections update for Hesketh Bank - Delays to collections on 14 January
Recycling collections due to take place in Hesketh Bank today (14 January) have been delayed.
- Jacqui Sinnott-Lacey appointed as West Lancashire Borough Council's new Chief Operating Officer
Our new Chief Operating Officer Jacqui Sinnott-Lacey believes exciting times lie ahead for the Borough and its people
- Recycle more this Christmas
Tis the season to recycle as much of your Christmas waste as possible to prevent it going to landfill
- Lancashire LEP Chair Visits West Lancashire
Steve Fogg, the new Chair of the Lancashire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) recently spent an afternoon in West Lancashire with representatives from the Council, key business leaders and leading academics
- Leader of West Lancashire Borough Council's Christmas and New Year message
Councillor Ian Moran, Leader of West Lancashire Borough Council, would like to wish everyone a very happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year
- Drink drivers could be caught on camera this Christmas
With the festive season around the corner drunk drivers are being warned they could be caught on CCTV
- Help is available for anyone experiencing domestic abuse over Christmas
The festive season should be a happy time for all, but for anyone living with domestic abuse, the risks increase over Christmas
- Council services between Christmas and New Year
Even though the West Lancashire Borough Council Offices will be closed over the festive period refuse and recycling collections will continue to operate
- Make paying your rent part of your Christmas plans
We have made it quicker and easier for tenants to set up a direct debit and stay on top of their rent to help with budgeting over the Christmas period
- Save money while visiting Ormskirk this Christmas
We are helping visitors to Ormskirk save money this Christmas by offering them the chance to park for up to five hours for just £1 when shopping and socialising in the town centre.
- Make sure you are prepared in case of flooding
You can get lots of information to help you be prepared if there is any local flooding this winter on our website
- Don't miss Ormskirk's fantastic Christmas of Tales and festive lights switch on
Families can enjoy a fantastic day out and uncover a host of fairy stories at Ormskirk's free Christmas of Tales event on Sunday 24 November
- Make sure you are registered to vote in the General Election
If you live in West Lancashire and want to have your say in the General Election on Thursday 12 December 2019 you must ensure you are registered to vote
- We are making it even easier for tenants to provide feedback on our repairs service
A great new way for our tenants to give their views on repairs carried out to their homes is being introduced